Thursday, March 5, 2009

New kitchen floors

The hardwood guy has come and gone. If you're ever looking for a good guy in Seattle, I recommend Golden Hardwood Floor Co. Joe and his wife, Cindy, run the operation. Very nice people.

You can see here where Joe was able to piece together the oak and fir at the threshold. Those smaller pieces are where the heat register used to be. He did the same sort of thing to a spot near the laundry room door. It looked like there had been a burn spot and someone used floor leveler before laying the crappy 1960's vinyl.

You'll notice a few damaged spots that we left, but I think it adds a little character. Along that right wall you can see old water damage. It looks like there's another burn spot too. Maybe a hot iron or something. It's fine. It's an old house. You should see the living room ceilings!

You may see a few white fuzzy spots. That's the camera lens. I tried to clean it, but not very well obviously.

We're still not walking on the floor. We're getting the tile area ready (upstairs on top of some old visqueen) and fitting the shelves with shelving paper, etc. These are all things that can be done outside the work area. After work tomorrow I'll lay down paper and take the plastic down. The dog isn't allowed in for a couple more weeks. I want the finish to have some time to cure.

So the place I bought the black and white vinyl tile, Millers Interior in Lynnwood, WA is not letting me return it. I even called the day I realized we were dealing with hardwood and he said we could with a 25 % re-stock fee. Showed up yesterday to return it, even though it's still sitting in their warehouse, and salesman Jimmy Martin said the manufacturers won't take it back. That's $500 worth of stupid vinyl tile. I'm so upset. I told him he has until Friday to find someone to return it to. I'm going to take my hot-head brother down there to "talk" some sense into them. So unfair....and I was going to buy my carpet from them. Not anymore!

Note: Make sure you don't put all your appliances on one cicuit in the "makeshift" kitchen. We have to turn off the TV when we use the microwave so we don't blow a fuse, which are in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment